Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Special Events and Fundraising Intern
Special Events and Fundraising Intern
Are you a self-starter eager to learn about non-profit fundraising and events? Big Bend Cares wants you to join our development team this semester!
Big Bend Cares is a non-profit organization that has been operating for over 30 years. Its mission is to serve individuals in the Big Bend region who have been infected with or affected by HIV/AIDS. Thousands of people in our region are impacted by this disease and its economic, health, and social impacts. You can be a part of the local effort to end a global epidemic by interning with Big Bend Cares.
We are seeking an intern to become a part of our Development Department. This individual will learn about non-profit fundraising, how to pitch sponsorship opportunities, the importance of maintaining positive relationships with donors, what goes into event planning for large annual programs, and the importance of community engagement for non-profit organizations. They will also be involved in the coordination of at least 1 large event or program, often in conjunction with smaller fundraisers or programs.
This is an unpaid position.
The Special Events and Fundraising intern will be an integral part of the team, contributing to department growth, expansion of fundraising events, acquisition, stewardship, and retention of donors, and community engagement.
This position will be an integral part of the development team. You will serve under the Volunteer and Events Coordinator, who completed a 450-hour non-profit internship during her undergraduate career, and the Chief Development Officer, who has over 30 years of sales and fundraising experience.
- Intern must be actively enrolled in courses to complete a bachelor’s degree. Preference given to students who are passionate about HIV/AIDS advocacy, community activism, or working in the non-profit sector.
- The ability to commit to a specific schedule every week. 10-15 hours/week preferred. This will enable you to have the best experience. Our office hours are 8:00-5:00 Monday – Friday.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Adobe products is ideal.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Social Media/Community Engagement
- Collaborate to develop social media content about HIV & STD prevention
- Work with the Volunteer and Events Coordinator to create monthly community engagement newsletter
- Event Coordination
- Research and assist in the development of a new annual fundraising event that will raise a minimum of $25,000.
- In conjunction with the other department members, plan and execute at least one large event, often in conjunction with smaller fundraisers.
- Fall Semester: Holiday Angels- The majority of our clients live below the poverty line and because of this, the holidays can be especially hard. Holiday Angels is a program that alleviates this stress for our families by matching children with sponsors who will shop for presents (clothing and toys). We want all our children to have gifts to open during the holidays.
- Spring Semester: AIDS Walk is a long-standing 5k fundraiser that is being revamped this year. You will be a critical part in brainstorming new ideas, getting participants to register, and hosting this event.
- Summer Semester: Artopia is our annual charity art auction that boasts over 400 pieces of art and over 500 attendees every year. During the summer you will help plan this event from start to finish. This involves attending local art events, organizing donations, planning event activities, meeting with potential sponsors, and working the event from set up through clean up.
- Attend meetings with potential donors
- Shadow meetings where sponsorship opportunities are pitched to a business or individual donor
- Work with the Chief Development Officer to learn about the importance of building relationships with donors.
- Be available to participate in volunteer activities as necessary
- Other duties as assigned. As a non-profit, an intern who is willing to pitch in where needed is critical.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Caitlin Steiner, Volunteer and Events Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: