Age Minimum (with Adult): 13+, Minimum Age:18+
Be a Shine Counselor
Senior Resource Alliance
The SHINE Counselor is an active, direct service, community-based volunteer of the SHINE (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) Program to Medicare beneficiaries and others in Florida. The Counselor provides unbiased information and assistance to SHINE clients as a volunteer of the Local Area Agency on Aging (AAA), Aging Resource Center (ARC), Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) in his or her community, or the Department of Elder Affairs (DOEA), and Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
- Interest in helping people and the local community.
- Strong listening and comprehension skills.
- Basic computer and internet skills. Must maintain a valid individual e-mail address for training and counseling purposes.
- Ability to demonstrate and remain free from any conflict of interest as a counselor.
- Willingness to work with and recruit a culturally diverse volunteer and client population.
TIME COMMITMENT: We prefer a two-year commitment to the program due to the amount of training required. Also, the volunteer must accurately report an average of five client contacts per week, as reported in SHIPTalk through one-on-one counseling sessions.
The counselor works within a local SHINE area to counsel individuals who have problems with and questions about Medicare, Medicaid as a secondary, Medicare Advantage Plans, Medicare Supplemental Insurance, Prescription Assistance, Long-Term Care Insurance/Planning, and other health insurance issues.
Required to receive and maintain active counselor status:
- Attend Volunteer Orientation Presentation and Three-Day Basic Training;
- Successful completion of Basic Training Exam with score of 80% or higher;
- Successful completion of a Level II Background Check;
- Six mentoring sessions with a seasoned volunteer;
- Attend routine local trainings and meetings;
- NPR (National Performance Reporting) Training;
May serve at community or AAA/ARC/ADRC-based counseling sites, by telephone or email, and at enrollment and other Community Events such as SHINE Health Fairs.
The Senior Resource Alliance provides the necessary training for each volunteer position. VCI's part in this opportunity is to provide volunteers who are 55+ with a (free) comprehensive benefits package (inclusive of accident, personal liability and automobile liability insurance, a life Insurance benefit, free workshops and more) during the hours that you volunteer! Please contact the RSVP Manager over Orange County for more information: 407-298-4180, x 113 / email@example.com.
RSVP, a part of Senior Corps, is America's largest volunteer network for people 55 and over, with more than 300,000 volunteers tackling tough issues in communities nationwide. RSVP shows you how you can apply the skills and wisdom you've acquired throughout your life to make a positive difference in the lives of others. RSVP is federally funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: